County Counsel / General Counsel for Visionary and Innovative Lane County, Eugene, Oregon
Established in 2007, Acumen Executive Search prides ourselves on being a trusted boutique, woman-owned Executive Search partner in the Pacific Northwest with a global reach. We deliver proven results while nurturing genuine long-term relationships. Acumen works shoulder to shoulder with our clients to deliver customized, meaningful, and proven leadership solutions empowering client success.
Acumen is again partnering with Lane County, Oregon to find their next County Counsel. This position serves as the County’s chief legal officer and provides public policy, legal advice, and representation to the County through its governing body, the Board of Commissioners. County Counsel also provides advice and representation to Lane County’s elected and appointed officials. This is a solid opportunity to innovate and work with a group of visionary leaders and staff in a County that is looked to as a model both state-wide and nationally for innovative initiatives.
Acumen has hired many long-tenured, satisfied leaders for Lane County who are mission-driven and are drawn to the healthy culture (repeatedly rated #1 Healthiest Large Employer in Oregon) with healthy work-life integration and a collaborative team environment. The salary range for this position ranges from $165,000 to $210,000 (DOE). In addition to the salary, this position includes a generous car allowance (currently over $500 a month), a pension plan (PERs), a deferred compensation program, healthcare benefits, a no-cost integrated wellness clinic and more.
Employees also enjoy the beauty and diversity of the area, which is close to the stunning coastline, pristine lakes and rivers, and mountains all just one hour away. This area is known for their top-ranked schools, food and beverage culture, easy access to outdoor activities, and general high quality of life.
The County Counsel demonstrates leadership, management, and innovation in the effective and efficient delivery of legal services to County departments; as well as provides direction to and manages department personnel. The County Counsel oversees an in-house legal department with a strong, effective, passionate team committed to the County’s three Core Behaviors: passion to serve, driven to connect, and focused on solutions. They embody integrity, excellence, equity, and respect.
The County Counsel position with Lane County may be the perfect opportunity for you if you:
- Have a Juris Doctorate from an accredited school of law and at least seven (7) years of increasingly responsible legal experience, including four (4) years of supervisory experience in either public or private practice.
- Have, or can obtain, an active membership in the Oregon State Bar and have the ability and willingness to apply for and obtain admittance to practice before all Oregon Courts and the U.S. District Courts for the State of Oregon
- Possess, or obtain within 30 days of hire, a valid Oregon driver’s license; and possess and maintain an acceptable driving record.
Ideal candidate should also:
- Have a passion for the mission of service to the people of the County.
- Have considerable knowledge of public law and applicable State and Federal laws that affect the County.
- Have exposure to litigation in the public sector arena — preferred, though a litigation specialization is not a requirement.
- Are an experienced manager with an understanding of interpersonal dynamics, organizational behavior, and supportive management practices.
- Can navigate a complex organization which includes oversight by an elected Board of Commissioners, providing legal counsel to peer department leaders, leadership and mentorship of attorneys and administrative staff within the department (currently 10 direct reports), all while supporting the residents of Lane County.
- Are a strong, effective listener and collaborator with a consultative style.
- Are an innovator with an ability to present multiple potential scenarios to address a need.
- Are an effective communicator who can balance directness with diplomacy and who can work with a team of varying political ideologies.
- Possess high EQ and are an effective relationship-builder across the organization and with external partners.
- Can integrate an equity lens in decision-making.
About the Department:
County Counsel’s portfolio consists of Legal Services, Risk Management, Public Records Requests, and Workers' Compensation.
Legal Services provides legal advice to the Board of Commissioners, County officials, boards, and committees. The office handles litigation on the county's behalf, including personnel grievances, unemployment claims, personal injury, property damage, land use, public contracting, and maintenance of Lane Code and Lane Manual.
The Risk Management Program, working in conjunction with departments and individual employees, seeks to mitigate loss exposure to Lane County by identifying and minimizing financial consequences of potential liabilities. The program also processes claims and seeks recovery for damages and injuries, advises departments and vendors of County insurance requirements, and purchases excess insurance coverage, among other responsibilities.
County Counsel oversees all legal matters which involve the County and may represent or oversee representation of the County in matters of litigation. Incumbents serve as members of the executive management team providing leadership, and as such, participate in the accountability and efficiency of operations and success of the overall organizational goals and objectives. County Counsel works under the supervision of the Board of Commissioners to provide independent legal advice and representation. County Counsel serves as a department director, manages the Office of County Counsel (currently 10 direct reports), and exercises full supervisory authority over assistant legal counsel and support staff in the Office of County Counsel.
Building a Diverse and Inclusive Workplace:
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. We at Acumen are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and equitable workplace, so if you are excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
Keywords: Counsel, General Counsel, Attorney, Lawyer, Public Sector, Law, Municipal Law, Government, Quasi-Government, , Lane County, County, Oregon, Oregon Bar Association, Eugene, County Counsel, Legal Services, Risk Management, Civil Law, Collective Bargaining, Public Records, Public Meetings, Contracts, Risk, Labor and Employment Law, West Coast