Controller for Leading-Edge, Globally Recognized, Sustainability-Focused Professional Services Firm – Portland, Oregon
Acumen has partnered with a pioneering, innovative, sustainability-focused Architectural Engineering Professional Services Firm for the placement of their Corporate Controller.
Our client, a B Corp, was established in 1967 and now has grown to 5 offices on the West Coast. They are especially known for their cutting-edge “living buildings” with a vision to help solve the planet’s energy and water challenges. The organization has clients nationally and is experiencing high growth and new markets — especially in the arena of sustainability.
This large mission-driven Architectural Engineering Professional Services organization is highly respected, well-established, entrepreneurial, and innovative; they are a true triple bottom line company by focusing equally on People, Planet, and Profit. They have been repeatedly recognized as one of the 100 Best Companies to Work For and one of the 100 Best Green Firms in the country and are a leader in high-performance sustainable design and corporate practices.
Their work shines in everything from cancer research institutes to famous arts and culture venues to many of Silicon Valley's cutting-edge marquee technology companies.
The Leadership team cares deeply for their team and their impact on the Planet. Their culture embraces innovation, equity, collaboration, continuous learning, and team.
The successful candidate will be a “roll up your sleeves” entrepreneurial type of individual with strong analytical skills along with the ability to quickly comprehend the business and contribute proactively to open the doors to new markets while improving cost controls and efficiencies. The Controller will be an advisor to the CFO, leading a team of accounting professionals, and will contribute to the continued growth of the company.
Not only will the Controller be actively supporting the health of the planet, but they will also enjoy a highly competitive total rewards package with bonuses, stock options, and top-tier benefits – such as a sabbatical program to allow for time to rest and restoration.
Compensation: $120K – $162K DOE with additional bonus and stock options.
The Controller will work in the Portland office with a dispersed team throughout the West Coast.
If you value:
- Stewardship – value community and seek to restore our planet's ecosystem.
- Humility – approach challenges with an open, curious mind.
- Accountability – follow through on commitments.
- Innovation – collaborate to discover unique solutions that work for all people and the planet.
- Respect – treat each other with dignity, respect, and compassion.
- Prefer working in an entrepreneurial environment with a track record of providing compelling upside.
- Are aligned with the mission of designing sustainable and regenerative solutions that benefit the triple bottom line.
- Are well-versed in GAAP accounting.
- Have a strong understanding of revenue recognition and ASC606 in a professional services environment.
- Thrive in an environment where you’ll collaborate with external partners and clients while leading an internal team of accounting professionals.
- Are technically and systems-savvy.
- Player/Coach Controller.
This Controller opportunity may be your next meaningful opportunity.
About the Role
The Controller directs and has immediate responsibility for the firm’s accounting practices and procedures; accounting controls; maintenance of its financial and corporate records; tax, license, and financial compliance; and supervision of accounting staff. The position calls for experience, independent judgment, initiative, and excellent communications skills.
What You’ll Do
- Recruit, train, onboard and manage the financial accounting staff.
- Direct all financial accounting functions, including Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Tax, General Ledger, financial controls, and financial statement preparation.
- Act as immediate point of contact for the firm’s public accountants and tax accountants for year-end tax planning, review of annual financial statements, federal, state, and local taxes.
- Interface directly with banking institutions for the maintenance of accounts and banking transactions.
- Interface directly with Insurance agents on annual renewals and changes to corporate coverages.
- Use best practices to establish proper controls for a company of the size and nature of the organization and alerts CFO of any actual or potential risks or concerns.
- Administer master accounting schedule and calendar and ensure that deadlines are met.
- Oversee preparation of FAR overhead schedules, overhead audits, and special project rates.
- Interact with firm leadership on accounting and financial matters of importance.
- Prepare monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements in accordance with GAAP and submit to management on a timely basis.
- Maintain firm’s compliance with respect to other general business, insurance, and tax filings.
- Oversee established treasury policies, monitoring cash flow on a continuing basis and report status to CFO.
- Manage development and maintenance of internal documentation of accounting processes.
- Development, analysis, and interpretation of statistical and accounting information in order to appraise operating results in terms of profitability, performance against budget, and other matters bearing on the fiscal soundness and operating effectiveness of the organization, past, present, and future.
- Prepare the annual operating and capital budgets and oversee the budget process and controls.
- Prepare and maintain the financial forecast.
- Work directly with Employee Experience on compliance, reconciliations, staff and shareholder bonus calculations and distributions, and to establish financial processes.
- Manage corporate stock records and the annual purchases and redemptions processes.
- Other duties that may be assigned.
What you bring:
Knowledge & Skills
- A proven understanding and applied knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- History of successfully leading accounting teams.
- Experience managing financial statement reviews and preparation.
- Ability to express complex technical ideas clearly in written and oral communications.
- Advanced skills with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Deltek for Professional Services (DPS) or equivalent.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or equivalent experience.
- CPA/MBA Preferred
- Strong accounting and business background.
- Supervisory experience.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers.
Procedure for Applying:
To apply please go to Acumen Executive Search to submit a resume and brief cover letter indicating your interest in the opportunity. If our current open positions are not the right fit for you and you would like us to share relevant opportunities, please send your resume and a brief cover to Info@AcumenESearch.com
Established in 2007, Acumen Executive Search is recognized as the leading certified woman-owned Executive Search Partner in the Pacific Northwest with a global clientele. We deliver high-impact results and higher than national average retention rates while nurturing genuine long-term relationships. Acumen works shoulder-to-shoulder with our clients to provide customized, meaningful, and proven leadership solutions empowering organizational success.
Controller, Accounting, AEC, Professional Services, Leadership, Architecture, Engineering, Construction, GAAP Accounting, ASC606, Project Accounting, Deltek, DPS, Budget, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Tax, G/L, Financial Close, Financial Statements, Stock Plan, FAR Overhead, Cash Flow, Treasury, Budgets, Capital Budgets, Compliance, Audits