Founded in 2009 by the legendary teamaker Steven Smith – who founded Stash & Tazo – Smith Teamaker has evolved to become one of the fastest-growing beverage companies in the nation with a mission to “enrich lives through exceptional tea experiences.” Their business is enabled by an integrated, omnichannel business model and operated by TeaMakers who thrive within a “Head, Heart and Hustle” culture. This executive leadership opportunity to partner with a dynamic CEO has become available due to the impending retirement of their celebrated CFO.
As part of NextWorld Evergreen portfolio, a San Francisco-based Private Equity firm providing growth equity to conscious consumer brands, Smith is EBITDA positive and has earned its place on the Inc. 5000 as one of the fastest growing private companies.
The business sources plant-based ingredients from 30 countries, produces 30 million servings a year in its Portland TeaWorks, and has generated a >30% Compound Annual Growth Rate through E-Commerce, Tasting Rooms, Restaurants and Retail locations in the US, Canada and Asia.
- Are a financial leader (CFO, Head of Finance, or Controller) with experience in a high-growth, consumer-oriented business, such as Consumer Packaged Goods (CPG), DTC, Food Service, Luxury, or Retail with integrated manufacturing.
- Are a high-performance leader who has a track record of creating long-term equity value.
- Have successfully worked with engaged private equity or VC investors in a high-growth, performance-oriented environment.
- Have a track record of streamlining processes and gaining efficiencies, including ERP system implementation (a plus).
- Are well-versed in GAAP accounting.
- Are a trusted business strategist who will be a strong contributor on the leadership team.
- Are a leader that cares about the craft, the customers & team.
- Are ready to take a high-performing & solidly run growth organization to the next level.
Then we would like to talk to you about the opportunity to join Smith Teamaker as their next CFO.
The Chief Financial Officer serves as a strategic partner to the Chief Executive Officer, engaging with leaders across the Company to anticipate business issues & opportunities, using disciplined financial management to shape profitable growth. With a team of five, you will be responsible for all financial planning, accounting, reporting, systems, and controls.
- Planning: Manage, direct, and oversee all financial aspects of strategic business planning activities; maintain and review budgeting and forecasting models.
- Partnership: Serve as a business partner to key leaders across the business by developing financial models and projections that inform the potential of new products, strategic initiatives, and overall business models.
- Analysis: Prepare financial analyses to optimize performance across the enterprise ranging from product & customer profitability; to production costs & pricing; to investments in equipment & real estate.
- Working Capital: Optimize cash flow by aggressively managing receivables, payables, and inventory. This includes overseeing all procurement activities, including the cost-effective sourcing of ingredients and packaging while capturing favorable terms and conditions.
- Capital Structure: Optimize equity value growth by actively managing the capital structure of the business while leading relationships with lending, banking and investment partners.
- Risk Management: Minimize the Financial, Legal and Property risks to the business. In addition to disciplined decision-making, this includes leading relationships with key legal and insurance partners.
- Reporting: Oversee the development and communication of monthly financial reporting, to both internal partners and to the board (in partnership with the CEO).
- Systems: Support the organization through the ongoing development of key financial, accounting, and operating systems to enable the business to scale successfully. This will include the technologies to facilitate data access and cross-functional planning & collaboration and will also include the implementation of a major ERP system.
- M&A: Work closely with the CEO, Board of Directors, and Investors to identify, evaluate, and execute significant Merger & Acquisition opportunities.
- 15+ years of progressive finance experience; including 5+ years in a senior financial leadership role (CFO, Head of Finance, or Controller) of a high-growth, consumer-oriented business (CPG, Food Service, Luxury or Retail) with integrated manufacturing.
- Expert understanding of finance, accounting, budgeting, and cost control principles including Generally Accepted Accounting Principles
- Success in working with engaged private equity investors in a high-growth, performance-oriented environment.
- MBA and/or CPA strongly preferred.
- Financial Leadership: You are an experienced finance leader who is rooted in the practice of profitable growth. You have the curiosity to dig deep, the discipline to execute thorough due diligence, and the communication skills to articulate a simple, accurate picture of the business.
- Consumer Understanding: You have a natural interest in consumer behaviors and have a deep understanding of how to optimize investments in Direct-to-Consumer channels (E-Commerce and Tasting Rooms) and Wholesale channels (Food Service and Grocery).
- Strategic Clarity: Unafraid of navigating ambiguity, you have an ability to think big, paint a compelling picture of what “could be”, and translate the vision into an inspiring strategy. Faced with many opportunities, you know how to prioritize for world-class execution.
- Solution Focused: Innovative yet analytical, you are focused on finding solutions that make a difference. You naturally combine creativity and problem-solving skills with the operational understanding to get things done.
- Entrepreneurial Agility: A natural entrepreneur, you have a finger on the pulse of the market and the business. You have the flexibility to embrace change and are always willing to roll up your sleeves, lead by example, and help get the job done.
About the Company
- Smith Teamaker crafts artisanal teas, including Hot Teas, Iced Teas, Concentrates, and Powders, with a mission to “Enrich Lives through Exceptional Tea Experiences”.
- They generate $15-20 million in Net Revenue, with >30% CAGR over the past 3 years and is EBITDA-positive. They currently employ ~75 teamakers across their Portland, OR-based operations.
- Their success is driven in large part by their integrated, omni-channel business model. All Product Development, Procurement, Production, and Logistics are executed in-house to ensure quality, cost, and agility. They serve customers in the US and key international markets, with half of their business coming from Direct-to-Consumer channels (E-Commerce and Tasting Rooms), and half coming from Wholesale channels (Retail and Food Service).
- Smith Teamakers culture is rooted in “Head, Heart & Hustle” and can be defined through the following values:
- We are here to GROW – personally, professionally, and commercially.
- We are CURIOUS, and strive to learn, innovate and improve every day.
- We take CARE of each other, our customers, and our planet.
- We are INTERDEPENDENT using our diverse experiences to thrive together.
- We have INTEGRITY, delivering on commitments and are accountable for our actions.
- The business is primarily owned by NextWorld Evergreen, a San Francisco based private equity firm (www.nextworldevergreen.com).
About the role
- Estimated start date Q4 2023.
- Based in Portland, Oregon TeaWorks, typical work hours are M-F 8 am-5 pm; work hours and location flexible in alignment with organization priorities.
- They offer competitive base compensation, with annual and longer-term equity performance incentives.
- A full benefit package includes health & dental care, generous PTO, 401(k) with match, and tons of free tea.
Procedure for Applying:
To apply please go to Acumen Executive Search to submit a resume and brief cover letter indicating your interest in the opportunity. If our current open positions are not the right fit for you and you would like us to share relevant opportunities, please send your resume and a brief cover to: info@AcumenESearch.com
Established in 2007, Acumen Executive Search is recognized as the leading certified woman-owned Executive Search Partner in the Pacific Northwest with a global clientele. We deliver high-impact results and higher than national average retention rates while nurturing genuine long-term relationships. Acumen works shoulder-to-shoulder with our clients to provide customized, meaningful, and proven leadership solutions empowering organizational success.
Keywords: CFO, chief financial officer, financial leadership, controller, head of finance, food and beverage, food manufacturing, tea, beverages, consumer packaged goods (CPG), B2C, D2C, food manufacturing, strategic leader, GAAP, PE, VC, private equity, growth, luxury, omnichannel, retail, e-commerce, artisanal, craft, F&B, M&A, strategic planning, cash flow, budgeting, financial modeling, curated, fishbowl, NetSuite, ERP, financial reporting, working capital, partnerships, international markets